Want some tasty spuds? Then whip up some of this Healthy Classic Potato Salad as your next summertime side.
All hale to the mighty potato. Who new it was so rich in fiber, vitamin C and potassium, it makes eating them that much better for you. I don’t think I have ever been to a summertime cookout where there hasn’t been at least 2 or 3 different versions of potato salad. Potato salad is to summer, what ketchup is to hamburgers, or ants are to a picnic, always there. Well this summer I recommend making Healthy Classic Potato Salad. It is so creamy and full of flavor no one has to know it is good for them but you. Really, one of the main things that makes potato salad so creamy is the mayo, so why not lighten it up a bit and use low-fat miracle whip to get the same delicious flavor and texture?
I like to add a little more hard boiled eggs to also give it that creamy smoothness and with the celery and green onions you get just the right amount of crunch and pop this salad needs. Each ingredient in this Healthy Classic Potato Salad is essential and really brings the salad to life. The vinegar added to the potatoes after cooking and peeling them really is what gives this Healthy Classic Potato Salad its secret flavor explosion. This is one salad that you can actually taste all the different flavors making your tastebuds overly anxious for the next bite.
Which type of potato you use is really up to you. I like the Yukon Gold potatoes because they are a little sweeter, hold their shape after cooking, and are a bit creamier which is what I think of when I eat potato salad. So this summer whip up the Healthy Classic Potato Salad as your next summertime super spud! xoxo.
- 6 medium white potatoes or Yukon golds, about 2½ to 3 pounds, quartered
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 6 green onions, diced
- 10 hard boiled eggs, peeled ( I use Egg-Land's Best hard cooked peeled eggs).
- 1½ cups Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1½ teaspoons celery seed
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- paprika and bacon bit for garnish
- Bring potatoes to a boil in large pot of cold water that's been liberally salted. Reduce the heat to medium high or a lightly rolling boil and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a pairing knife. Drain and let cool until just able to handle.
- Peel the skins from the potatoes and cut into large diced pieces. Transfer the warm potatoes to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle with the white vinegar and stir. Allow the potatoes to cool, about 15 minutes.
- Add the celery and green onions. Chop 8 of the hard boiled eggs and add to the potato mixture.
- In a medium bowl, mix the Miracle Whip or mayonnaise, yellow mustard, celery seed and salt and pepper. Mix well into the potato mixture and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Slice the last 2 eggs into thin slices and place the slices on top of the salad. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Chill for at least 1 hour or overnight before serving. Enjoy!