It’s that time of year again where LOVE is in the air and all things hearts, flowers, chocolate and romantic gestures surround us. Well, instead of winning your special Valentine over with chocolate candy and sweet hearts (although still much appreciated) surprise him/her with these decadent Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze and there will be no need for a romantic card.
One of the “sweetest” times of the year filled with two of a girls favorite colors, red and pink in the shape of a perfect rose. How fun would it be to wake up to a delicious and healthier version of one of my all time favorite weekend or special day breakfast foods, then to see these scarlet Red Velvet Pancakes stacked on a plate drizzled with a delicious cream cheese glaze that makes syrup seem like yesterdays news (sorry Mrs. Butterworth). These Red Velvet Pancakes are made with whole wheat flour, applesauce (no butter), but still have a little naughty in them when we add the creamy cream cheese glaze.
Some of my fondest memories growing up were in the kitchen on the weekends eating hot off the griddle pancakes my Dad would make and then throw high up in the air while my brothers and I stood as far away as possible in hopes we would catch them on our plates. So why not whip up a quick batter of Red Velvet Pancakes and make someone start there fondest memories as they bite into these moist, fit-fabulous, dripping with cream cheese pancakes made with Amore! xoxo
- 2-cups whole wheat flour
- 3-Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2-teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2-teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2-teaspoon salt
- 2-cups fat free milk
- 2-Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4-cup splenda sugar blend
- 2-large eggs
- 1-1/2-Tablespoons red food coloring
- 1/3-cup applesauce
- 6-oz cream cheese, softened
- 6-Tablespoons applesauce
- 2-cups powdered sugar
- 1/2-cup whole milk
- 1/2-teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat an electric griddle to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Measure out milk into a liquid measuring cup and whisk in vinegar, let set for 2 minutes.
- Pour milk mixture into a separate large mixing bowl and add sugar, eggs, red food coloring, vanilla and applesauce, whisk until well combined.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Pour 1/4-1/3 cups batter on griddle and cook until bubbles appear on top surface of the pancake, then flip and cook until cooked through.
- Serve warm with cream cheese glaze and garnish with fresh berries of choice.
- In mixing bowl using an electric mixer set on medium speed, blend together softened cream cheese and applesauce until combined.
- Add in sugar, milk and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator. enjoy!